Consultant, Medical Oncology (Ref#001)
Published: 2020-10-29 20:43:30Z
Responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of medical diseases and conditions, as well as the provision of medical care in the field of Medical Oncology, in accordance with the current medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations and the hospital's policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Inpatient Service - Assessment and management of patients admitted on the floor under Consultant's care, including but not limited to:
- Daily round with the inpatient team.
- Writes a brief admission note, daily progress notes, or co-signs junior staff notes on assigned patients.
- Participates in the on-call rota as second or third on-call with other Consultants.
- Supervises junior staff in performing investigational /invasive and therapeutic procedures such as bone marrow biopsies, thoracocentesis, paracentesis, spinal taps, intrathecal chemotherapy and intracavitary chemotherapy, as needed.
- Writes chemotherapy orders, and/or co-signs chemotherapy orders written by junior staff.
- Discusses the plan of care with patients and their families.
- Requests consultation from other services as needed.
- Outpatient Service:
- Evaluates new referrals including full assessment, develops, and implements the plan of care.
- Manages follow-up patients on routine chemotherapy or off chemotherapy, and discharges them when appropriate.
- Supervises the junior staff in managing the patients in the regular clinics as well as drop-ins or unscheduled patients.
- Participates in running multidisciplinary clinics with other specialties when required.
- Reviews no-show patients and advises follow-up as needed.
- Performs chart review of laboratory results and imaging studies and takes appropriate action as indicated.
- Responds to consultations requested from other services.
- Plans for management and disposition.
- Documents inpatient medical records in a timely fashion and per hospital policy.
- Participates in Grand Rounds.
- Participates in weekly activities of the Section.
- Does bedside teaching for undergraduate students, Residents and Fellows.
- Participates in presentation of Journal Club topics.
- Participates in multidisciplinary conferences such as the Breast, Sarcoma, and Lymphoma Conferences.
- Participates in organizing symposia and workshops related to his specialty as needed.
- Writes and conducts prospective and retrospective clinical trials.
- Writes manuscripts and abstracts; submits them for publication in peer-reviewed journals and international conferences.
- Participates in departmental and hospital committees as determined by the Director of Oncology Centre, or Hospital administration.
- Participates in quality improvement projects as directed by the Section Head or Director of Oncology Centre.
- Participates in self and other's education, training, and development, as applicable.
- Follows all Hospital-related policies and procedures.
- Performs any other duties, as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited medical school.
- Completion of training in internal medicine and medical oncology in a recognized centre
- Be certified by the American board of internal medicine or its equivalent for internal medicine and subspecialty of medical oncology.
- Years of training in specialty or subspecialty plus postgraduate training experience must be equal to or exceed seven (7) years.
- Academic and research background are desirable.