Director, Oncology Department (Ref#001M)
Published: 2020-10-09 18:54:09Z
Leads the Department in accordance with the vision, mission, strategic priorities, goals and objectives of Hospital. Accountable to Executive Director, Medical and Clinical Affairs for effective operations and management of allocated resources of the department
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provides required patient care and management in the field of oncology in accordance with standards of medical care laid down by Hospital.
- Assumes responsibility for patients under care. Liaises with various support service departments and medical specializations to provide appropriate and timely medical care, in accordance with the standards of medical care laid down by Hospital.
- Complies with all hospital standards and policies pertaining to acceptance, eligibility, admission processes, consultation, daily patient care, operating room, outpatient practices, and patient discharge.
- Admits patients, initiates investigations and ensures findings are recorded. Assesses patients' diseases or conditions to determine appropriate therapeutic modalities/procedures.
- Ensures appropriate patient preparation for procedures/ surgery and performs procedures/surgery as indicated in the signed clinical privilege form.
- Manages urological patients and performs and supervises surgical procedures (as credentialed) in the operating room, in different aspects of oncology.
- Conducts ward rounds as per policy and reassesses inpatients under care. Documents findings in medical records.
- Follows up on investigation results for inpatients and outpatients and modifies treatment accordingly.
- Attends speciality clinics, outpatient clinics, day surgical units, day medical units, special procedures, and treatment areas.
- Conducts patient assessment in outpatient clinics, by analysing patient history, conducting physical examination and referring to reports of appropriate laboratory tests. Treats genitor urinary diseases and performs diagnostic procedures as required.
- Performs any other clinical responsibilities, as assigned.
- Promotes Postgraduate Training Programs, Continuing Medical Education activities, International symposia and other required educational and training courses and ensures evaluation and reporting of such activities.
- Leads and promotes educational activities for Residents, Fellows, Assistant Consultants, junior staff and other members of the department.
- Introduces and implements new advances and techniques for complex procedures in the field of oncology.
- Hosts national and international medical conferences in Hospital and participates in similar conferences abroad.
- Leads and promotes clinical, basic and translational research projects and publishes papers in accordance with Research Advisory Council Policy in order to advance knowledge, improve the quality of post graduate education and contribute to the national and international recognition of Hospital.
- Develops the department's Strategic Plan, Goals and Objectives in conformance with the overall strategic plan of Medical and Clinical Affairs. Provides quarterly reports on the progress made by the department on the Goals and Objectives.
- Ensures that the department and its staff perform in accordance with agreed Performance Objectives. Reports the Performance Results to the Executive Director, Medical and Clinical Affairs, on a periodic basis. Undertakes and leads the conduct of any corrective action that may be required, to improve the performance results of the department and its staff.
- Ensures that patient care and clinical services rendered by the department are in accordance with appropriate quality standards. Promotes the implementation of Quality Improvement Programs in the department.
- Leads initiatives for maximizing the utilization of all resources within the department and coordinates the same across the hospital.
- Ensures that patient care is provided in conformance with the Patients' Bill of Rights by the department and its staff.
- Obtains feedback from all customers and interested parties and takes appropriate action as required. Uses the feedback to improve quality of patient care.
- Acts as a leader and a role model and promotes a culture of excellence.
- Ensures that there is adequate and uninterrupted coverage in the Department. Manages the work distribution and leave schedules of the staff and resolves related issues to ensure efficient workflow.
- Ensures resources are available to respond to routine, request or emergency service provisions and to expand outputs, service and facilities, as needed.
- Recommends appointment of Deputy Chairman (en), Heads of Sections, Program Directors and other important staff members for the Department.
- Conducts annual evaluation of Departmental staff, in consultation with Section Heads and makes recommendations to Medical and Clinical Affairs,
- Fosters integration and collaboration with Nursing, Clinical Services, Administration, Support Services and other departments to ensure that required patient care is being provided, in accordance with standards laid down by Hospital.
- Establishes systems and processes for assignment, evaluation and renewal of clinical privileges for the departmental staff and makes recommendations on the same. Monitors adherence of staff members to assigned clinical privileges and recommends immediate modification of clinical privileges to ensure patient safety. whenever necessary.
- Enforces and monitors the adherence of all members of his Department to the Medical Staff Bylaws and rules and regulations, and hospital policies and procedures.
- Reports, investigates and takes timely and appropriate action in response to non-conformities, complaints and incident reports.
- Prepares and manages the annual Operating Budget of the Department and the annual Capital Equipment budget for the medical and clinical units associated with the Department, in conjunction with Nursing Affairs and Clinical Services, wherever applicable.
- Participates in capital equipment purchase planning, evaluation and implementation.
- Chairs regular departmental staff meetings to review and discuss patient care, policies, education, research, resource utilization and administrative activities. Participates as a member of the Medical Advisory Council.
- Develops policies and procedures for the department as necessary. Facilitates the development of by-laws, rules and regulations and hospital policies of Hospital.
- Makes timely decisions and authorizes all policies and procedures and by-laws for his Department.
- Responds to any queries and requests from the regulatory and governance bodies.
- Abides by the current hospital and medical staff bylaws, all relevant rules, regulations and policies and keeps self-updated of any changes that might occur.
- Participates in self and others' education, training and development, as applicable.
- Performs other related duties, responsibilities, and assignments as required.
- Follows all Hospital related policies and procedures.
- Doctor of medicine degree from a recognized medical school.
- Twelve (12) years of experience in sub-speciality plus post-training experience required.