Anesthesiologist - Head of Department (Ref#010)
Published: 2020-09-21 19:13:30Z
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT RESPONSIBILITIES
The role shall involve both clinical Anesthesia duties and Head of Department work. In addition to the Anesthesiologist role, the HOD responsibilities shall include:
- Shall be a role model in reflecting our core values and communicates and expects the team members to hold to the same standard.
- Facilitate department meetings as needed. Develop and monitor a monthly schedule for the Department.
- Monitor overall department productivity and counsel those physicians, where WRVU activity has declined.
- Advocate for the capital, equipment,and personnel needed to effectively run the department including developing and updating department policies and procedures.
- Clarify performance expectations on an ongoing basis, as well as providing meaningful frequent feedback
- Assess individual yearly performance. Implement and monitor performance improvement plans where required.
Learning & Development
- Promote and monitor professional development within the department. To offer support and advice to members of the department and encourage their professional development.
- Oversee the quality and appropriateness of health care provided and report and actively resolve any identified deficiencies in the quality of patient care.
- Develop relevant quality and performance metrics/indicators for the department and a method of tracking, trending and reporting them.
- Ensure that the department is in compliance with all regulatory and accreditation requirements by reviewing and updating as necessary departmental policies, bylaws, rules and regulations.
The Anesthesiologist will provide professional anesthesia services for patients at the Hospital; He/she will supervise and coordinate anesthesia services provided for patients at the Hospital; He/she will supervise and evaluate medical and nursing staff of Anesthesia Department, and perform medically related and administrative duties as required. Responsible for delivery of quality anesthesia and sedation services to all surgical and non-surgical patients at Hospital. She/he shall assist the planning and organization of anesthesia service and quality assurance of the anesthesia services in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team.
Safe Conduct of Anesthesia Care
- Participating in the development of, and enforcing policies and procedures relating to the functioning of anesthesia personnel and the administration of anesthesia throughout the hospital.
- An anesthesiologist with full staff privileges he/she must share on a fair and equitable basis in the responsibility for assuring 24-hour-a-day, 7day-a-week availability of anesthesia care.
- As a member of the hospital medical staff, Specialist anesthesiologist is subject to and must observe, as well as be accorded the benefits of, the medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations generally applicable to all physicians granted privileges in the hospital.
- Specialist Anesthesia duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to preanesthetic evaluation and care, medical management of the anesthetic procedure and the care of the patients during and after the surgery. The anesthesiologist should fulfill these responsibilities to the patient in accordance with the ASA Guidelines for the Ethical Practice of Anesthesiology and ethical policies of the Hospital.
Safe Conduct of Minimal, Moderate and Deep Sedation
- Specialist Anesthesiologist should ensure safe sedation practice and be involved directly or supervision of sedation services throughout the hospital and is physically present during the procedure in the sedation suite.
- He /She should be responsible and capable of monitoring and management of any adverse events during these procedures.
MEDICAL / CLINICAL KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrates knowledge of established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and social sciences, and the application of their knowledge to patient care and the education of others.
- Practice Based Learning and Improvement: Use of scientific evidence and methods to investigate, evaluate, and improve patient care.
- Interpersonal and Communication skills: Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with patients, families, and other members of health care teams.
- Professionalism: Demonstrated commitment to continuous professional development ethical practice, sensitivity to diversity, and a responsible attitude toward patients, the profession, and society.
- Systems-Based Practice: Demonstrated understanding of patient care systems in which healthcare is provided, and the ability to apply this knowledge to improve and optimize health care.
- Patient Care: Delivery of compassionate, appropriate, and effective patient care that is effective for promoting health, preventing illness, treating disease, and providing comfort at the end of life.
- Education: Board certified or MD in Anesthesiology as minimum.
- Duration and type of experience: 3 years after MD preferred.
- Language: Fluent in English. Ability to speak in Arabic is an advantage.
- Be familiar with and comply with OSH (Occupational, Safety and Health Center) policy standards and procedures that are relevant to the workplace.
- Candidates with good experience in Maternity and Child Care and comfortable with Neonates are preferred.